In December of 1955, the Leesburg Chamber of Commerce started a fund drive that culminated in the formation of the Leesburg Hospital Association, with more than $800,000 contributed by the community. Leesburg General Hospital opened with 76 beds and a 25-member medical staff in August of 1963.
In the 1980s, Leesburg General Hospital changed its name to Leesburg Regional Medical Center and purchased what had been Lake Community Hospital’s facilities just one mile away. A hospital system with 294 beds had been formed and there were more than 100 physicians on staff. The Wellness Center opened in 1989 on the Leesburg Regional north campus.
In 1994, construction began on an office park in Lady Lake, which would be the foundation for The Villages Regional Hospital. Today, this building forms the center of a medical office complex on the east side of Highway 441. Leesburg Regional Medical Center purchased a Certificate of Need to construct a new hospital in The Villages that opened in July 2002 (see The Villages Regional Hospital history).
In January of 2008, Leesburg Regional Medical Center & The Villages Regional Hospital announced a new system name that collectively identified them as Central Florida Health Alliance. Each hospital kept its individual name, exceptional services, and leadership while acknowledging that they shared the same commitment to quality care and service excellence.